Friday, March 11, 2011

Capriccio II -- Croton-on-Hudson, NY

Chicken Marsala Pie from Capriccio II

The last time I visited my family in New York, we went -- as we always do -- to Capriccio II (Capriccio I is literally half a block away from its "sister" pizzeria. Ha ha!).

I know I said I wasn't going to review anything besides pizza, and I won't; however; just going to mention that I get main dishes/soups/salads here half the time because they are delicious. (The chicken Parmesan platter is my favorite.)

Eggplant pizza

But onto the pizza. They have several different pies to choose from, which tease you from the display cases by the register. There's the bruschetta pie, the chicken marsala pie, the eggplant pie, the white pie. And then there's the original -- and, in my mind -- the best!


Capriccio's crust is perfectly crisp without being burnt. It's the type of pizza that will probably stand out straight if you lift it, rather than sagging downward. You don't necessarily have to fold this pizza in half when you eat it ... but then you'd better use two hands. (Or, if you're feeling dignified -- use a fork and knife!)

White pizza

Some of the best pizza in NY is hidden away in this small town in Westchester! No need to go into the city for a great slice.

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous new blog!!! Wow, I would love to try the eggplant pizza. Keith and I must venture out of Manhattan next time we go to NY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie!! Would you want to write a guest post on Porta Alba? I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh...YES! Because I need another excuse to go eat there ;) We're going this Saturday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Whenever you write it up, just email me at rachel.s.blum@gmail.com along with any photos you take. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I am now in New Zealand, I worked at this restaurant for 3 years (2 years ago) as a student at Croton Harmon High School... not only was it the best place to work at on a Friday night (which is pizza night for NY) but what was truly the highlight of my night was to get free food at the end of my shift... Mike- the owner is the best. I really miss working there! You must also check out La Monica's deli just up the street from Capriccios, closer to the Train Station... best sandwiches and best italian deli around... Andrew comes straight from Arthur Avenue. The Prosciutto Sandwich with warm homemade (that morning) mozzarella cheese and pesto is my favorite! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete